Setting up the PPN in Limerick
The PPN was set up by Limerick City & County Council in January 2015 with the support of an external Working Group. This Working Group was made up of people with considerable skills and experience in the areas of public participation and community engagement, as follows:
- Dr. Chris McInerney, University of Limerick
- Catherine Smyth, Ballyhoura Developmen
- Karen O’Donnell O’Connor, PAUL Partnership
- Juan Carlos Azzopardi, Limerick City Community Development Project
- Paul Moriarty, Limerick Volunteer Centre (West Limerick Resources)
- Alice McAuliffe, former Limerick Community & Voluntary Forum
- Toni Gleeson, Disability Federation of Ireland
- Cora Foley, Limerick and Clare Education and Training Board
- Sinead Doody, Social Inclusion Officer, Limerick City & County Council
- Dara McGuigan, Administrative Officer, Limerick City & County Council
The Working Group was established in September 2014 and worked intensively to implement the complex guidelines and build a robust process at local level. In January 2015, following a comprehensive awareness-raising campaign involving almost 20 information workshops and an online registration process, Limerick PPN was formally established.
The Working Group handed over the reins in the following months to the PPN Secretariat, which was established in April, following an on-line election process. For more information on the Secretariat, click here.
The PPN is currently supported by an interim part-time Resource Worker, which is being facilitated by Limerick City and County Council. A full-time Resource Worker will be appointed in the coming months.
It is the aim of the Secretariat is to operate independently of LCCC by early 2016.