Yearlong commemoration of the centenary of the Easter Rising in 1916
Ireland 2016 marks the centenary of the Easter Rising in 1916, a seminal moment on Ireland’s journey to independence.
It is also a once-in-a-century invitation to people of all ages, in Ireland and overseas, to shape and actively engage in a diverse range of historical, cultural and artistic activities designed to facilitate reflection, commemoration, debate and analysis and an active re-imagining of our future.
Limerick has many important links with the 1916 Rising and it is planned to commemorate these in a programme of events and activities in 2016.
The Ireland 2016 Centenary Programme is built on Seven Programme Strands which, taken together, reflect the themes of Remembering, Reconciling, Presenting, Imagining and Celebrating. The programme will continue to grow and develop over the coming months.
Led by Limerick City & County Council and under the guidance of the local 1916 Co-ordinator, the programme is the outcome of consultations with interested local groups, organisations and individuals who were invited to participate in the planning and implementation of events and initiatives during 2016.
Some of the events planned for Limerick City & County Council include:
- A re-enactment of a march by 300 Irish Volunteers to Glenquin Castle to receive a shipment of arms.
- ‘Roots of the Rising’ – the family history of Ned Daly and Con Colbert by Limerick Genealogy.
- Memorial Gardens will be erected at Limerick City, Newcastle West, Kilmallock and Rathkeale.
- ‘As If She Had a Right to be There’ – an exhibition of drawings by Ashlinn O’Keeffe relating to women’s involvement in Irish Struggle for Independence..
- Rith 2016 – a nationwide relay run to celebrate the Irish language will be visiting Limerick on 8th March 2016.
- ‘1916 Today – An Anthology of Reactions’ by Limerick Writers Centre.
Is iomaí nasc tábhachtach atá ag Luimneach leis an Éirí Amach agus tá sé i gceist iad seo a chomóradh i gclár imeachtaí agus gníomhaíochtaí in 2016.
Tá Éire 2016: Clár Comórtha Céad Bliain bunaithe ar Sheacht Snáithe an Chláir, agus nuair a thógtar iad sin i dteannta a chéile, léiríonn siad na téamaí Cuimhneamh, Athmhuintearas, Cur i Láthair, Samhlú agus Ceiliúradh.